Weld Food Bank was founded in 1982 when community leaders identified the need for a centralized clearinghouse for donated food. Such a clearinghouse more effectively provides food to low-income residents, while eliminating duplication of food collection efforts and providing significant savings for the community’s nonprofit agencies. Weld Food Bank is one of over 200 food banks that work together as members of the national organization Feeding America.
Our first facility on 2nd Street was 850 square feet and had only a single refrigerator and operations were initiated without the benefit of a freezer, trucks, or drivers.
In 1990 we moved to 104 11th Avenue where we had 12,000 square feet and 9 employees. The new space allowed WFB to begin distribution of the Commodities Supplemental Food Program.
In 2005, after raising funds through a capital campaign, we completed construction on our current facility at 1108 H Street. Our warehouse has 35,000 square feet and we have a fleet of six vehicles and a forklift. Last year we were able to distribute 11.5 million pounds of food from this location with the help of our 28 full and part-time staff members. We recently completed an on site commercial kitchen that will allow us to expand our Kids Cafe program as well as provide cooking classes, nutrition courses, and job training. Stop by today and take a tour of our facility!